Looking to crate train your puppy or adult dog?
What is crate training? How to crate train a puppy? How long does it take to crate train a dog?
These are all common questions, among others about dogs and dog crates, which I’m asked by concerned puppy owners or new dog owners who contact us looking to do their utmost to find the best ways to train their dog.
Crate training your dog is an important part of preparing your dog for visits to the veterinarian, for dog grooming, for toilet training your dog and for building your dog’s independence.
Crate training teaches your dog to be comfortable with being confined and gives your dog a safe space to go to if they’re feeling overwhelmed. Crates are also a useful tool to use with storm phobic dogs, as their crate acts like a den, when your dog has been trained to view the crate positively.
Here are some tips to make crate training your dog go smoothly:
- Never use the crate as a punishment
- Start small. Don’t jump straight to locking your dog in the crate
- Show your dog that going into the crate leads to good things. Drop rewards into the crate whenever they climb in (at the start)
- Teach your dog doorway manners at the crate door. They need to know not to barge out when the crate opens
- Put your dogs crate in a quiet area in the house where they won’t be constantly disturbed
- If your dog is struggling, start feeding your dog all of their meals (through dog enrichment toys) in their crate
Once your dog has a positive view of their crate, you can start gradually increasing the amount of time (duration) in their crate, with the goal of teaching your dog to be comfortable in their crate for any amount of time.
Doing this will certainly lessen the stress your dog would otherwise feel when visiting the dog groomers or when needing an overnight visit to the vets.
Need further help with how to crate train your puppy or adult dog? We offer in-home private dog training lessons which can make crate training your dog a hassle free experience. Contact us to learn more about how we can help.