Puppy Training Gold Coast
How to Prepare for Puppy Training Lessons
A lot of new owners ask about what they can do to get their puppy ready for training. Especially if this is your puppy’s first lesson of puppy training on the Gold Coast, you’ll want to take a few steps to ensure they feel as comfortable and ready to learn as possible. With a familiar item or two and the right energy levels and approach to training, your puppy will be ready to engage and have a great time learning all the essentials they’ll need to be the perfect companion.
- Spend a little bit of time playing together before training to help them feel at ease. Don’t make play too vigorous, only a little game of tug or “follow the food” can get your puppy into the right frame of mind for training.
- Give them the chance to do their business before training starts – needing to go to the bathroom can make a dog fidgety and distracted.
- Bring along a special toy or some treats which your dog loves, which you reserve only for training, so your puppy is extra motivated to work for what you’ve got on hand.
- Use their normal collar and lead – don’t switch to new puppy gear right before training.
That’s it – you don’t have to worry about teaching your puppy any major skills before puppy training begins. However, it is helpful to continue teaching them what they learn during your puppy training lessons, at home and in public places as well, so that they will be reliable with their new skills, even in new environments. It’s important to remember as well that repetition and consistency will really help your puppy to build confidence and develop good habits.
How Much Puppy Training Will We Need?
How much time your puppy should spend training depends on your puppies individual needs and your current level of experience in puppy socializing. More frequent training will help your puppy learn good habits quickly and will prevent unwanted behaviours from becoming ingrained. We’d be more than happy to discuss the length of training with you once we get to meet your puppy!
The Best Time to Start Training Your Puppy
New clients often contact me asking when their new puppy should start puppy training.
Training your puppy is best started as soon as you collect them. Training the basics, such as toilet training, loose leash walking, crate training, boundary manners, and manners around people, can all start being taught as early as eight weeks old.
Socialization and positive exposure from the time you pick up your puppy, is another super crucial part of raising a well-mannered, sociable, safe, and obedient dog.
Is Puppy Training For You?
Giving your puppy the best start in life is something every responsible dog owner wants. Without professional help, it can be hard to find the right information, which can lead to your puppy showing problematic and possibly even dangerous behaviors.
Is your puppy:
- Toileting in the home?
- Destroying your belongings or stealing objects and not giving them back when asked?
- Whining and crying when they’re left alone?
- Nervous or fearful of dogs / people / vehicles / other animals?
- Uncontrollable inside the home, zooming around the home causing mayhem?
- Pulling on the leash or jumping up and biting at the leash when you’re trying to walk with them?
- Biting or mouthing you or your family?
Our Puppy Training on the Gold Coast is great for making sure you and your puppy make the best start together, setting your home and your family up for a fun, safe, enjoyable, and easy relationship with your dog for years to come.
Puppy Training will help you teach your puppy to be:
- Confident being left alone and in new situations
- Sociable and safe around new people and other dogs
- Confident and calm around other dogs, people, animals and vehicles
- Obedient and reliable even if there are a lot of distractions around
- A dream to walk; walking at your side with loose leash
- Polite and calm; not jumping up on your guests and playing nicely without biting hands
- Calmer and happier in every environment and situation
Get In Touch Today For Our Puppy Training Gold Coast Services!
Want to make sure your puppy gets the best start in life with you? Contact us today to book in a free consultation, and we’ll get you started on the right path in your training journey together.
*If your dog is older, that’s fine, too! We offer complete dog training on the Gold Coast, and that means working with dogs of all ages and from many different backgrounds.